Language: German (Deutsch)
Leise, windverwehte Lieder,
Mögt ihr fallen in den Sand!
Blätter seid ihr eines Baumes,
Welcher nie in Blüthe stand.
Welke, windverwehte Blätter,
Boten naher Winterruh',
Fallet sacht! . . . ihr deckt die Gräber
Mancher todten Hoffnung zu.
Translation(s): ENG ENG
List of language codes
Confirmed with Gedichte von Heinrich Leuthold, Dritte vermehrte Auflage, Frauenfeld, Verlag von J. Huber, 1884, p. 3.
Submitted by Harry Joelson
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Rudolph Ganz (1877 - 1972), "Blätterfall", op. 20 no. 2, published 1908 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hermann von Glenck (1883 - 1952), "Blätterfall", op. 20 (Zwei Lieder) no. 1 [soprano and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hans Hermann (1870 - 1931), "Blätterfall", op. 2 (Duette für zwei Singstimmen mit Pianoforte) no. 3, published 1897 [vocal duet with piano], Magdeburg, Heinrichshofen Verlag, also set in English [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Huber (1852 - 1921), "Blätterfall ", op. 53 no. 1, published 1880 [voice and piano], from Stimmungen. Gedichte von H. Leuthold für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 1, Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Carl Israël (1841 - 1881), "Blätterfall", op. 14 (Drei Gedichte für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1881 [alto or bass and piano], Frankfurt a/M., Henkel [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Robert Kahn (1865 - 1951), "Blätterfall", op. 22 (Acht Lieder) no. 8 (1895), published 1895 [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Richard Poebing , "Blätterfall ", op. 8 (Vier Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 4, published 1895 [voice and piano], München, Schmid Nachf. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Oscar George Theodore Sonneck (1873 - 1928), "Blätterfall", op. 17 no. 3, published 1922 [baritone and piano], from Vier pessimistische Lieder für Bariton und Klavier, no. 3, Wien, New York: Universal-Edition [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Severin Warteresiewicz , "Blätterfall", op. 6 (Sechs Gesänge für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebleitung) no. 6, published 1886 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by John Bernhoff (flourished 1906-1908) ; composed by Hans Hermann.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Fall of leaves", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2007-05-24 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:22
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Fall of leaves
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Quiet, windblown songs,
May you fall into the sand!
You are leaves of a tree
That never blossomed.
Withered, windblown leaves,
Messengers of the nearing winter-rest,
Fall gently! . . . you cover the graves
Of many a dead hope.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Heinrich Leuthold (1827 - 1879), "Blätterfall", appears in Gedichte, in 1. Vermischte Gedichte
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Rudolph Ganz, Hermann von Glenck, Hans Hermann, Hans Huber, Carl Israël, Robert Kahn, Richard Poebing, Oscar George Theodore Sonneck, Severin Warteresiewicz. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2015-09-25 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2015-09-25 21:03:24
Line count: 8
Word count: 40