Language: German (Deutsch)
wendet kein Elend,
macht dich nicht frei.
zum Trutz sich erhalten,
nimmer sich beugen,
kräftig sich zeigen,
rufet die Arme
der Götter herbei!
Translation(s): DUT ENG ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Kein Elend", 1990 [medium voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Beherzigung", op. 93a (Sechs Lieder und Romanzen für vierstimmigen gemischten Chor) no. 6 (1883?), published 1884 [SATB chorus a cappella], Berlin, Simrock [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Paul Geilsdorf (1890 - 1976), "Beherzigung", op. 69 no. 3 [TTBB quartet a cappella], from Sprüche des Lebens, no. 3 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Cor (Cornelius Wilhelm) de Groot (b. 1914), "Beherzigung", published 194-?, from 7 Goethe Lieder, no. 7 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Otto Klemperer (1885 - 1973), "Beherzigung" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Beherzigung", alternate title: "Aus Lila", published 1809 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Bernard Reichel (1901 - 1992), "Feiger Gedanken", published 198-? [voice and piano], from Lieder-Gedichte von Goethe, no. 8, Monthey : Cantate Domino [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Ernest Vietor (flourished 1905-1930), "Feiger Gedanken bängliches Schwanken", op. 10 no. 3 (1933) [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hermann Hans Wetzler (1870 - 1943), "Beherzigung", 1907 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Beherzigung", published 1888 [voice and piano], from Sechs Gedichte von Scheffel, Mörike, Goethe and Kerner, no. 4 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alexander Zemlinsky (1871 - 1942), "Feiger Gedanken bängliches Schwanken", op. 22 (Sechs Lieder) no. 3 (1934), published c1977 [soprano and piano], Hillsdale, N. Y. : Mobart Music Publications [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Cowardly thoughts, timid shaking", copyright ©
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "No misery", copyright © 1990, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Résolution", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Da tenere a mente", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 12
Word count: 33
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Dutch (Nederlands) after the German (Deutsch)
Weif’len en zwenken,
Keert geen ellende,
Maakt je niet vrij.
Nooit zich onttronen,
Krachtig zich tonen,
Dat roept de steun van
De goden er bij!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translation of title "Beherzigung" = "Bemoediging"
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2015 by Lau Kanen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Beherzigung" ENG ENG FRE ITA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Gary Bachlund, Johannes Brahms, Paul Geilsdorf, Cor de Groot, Otto Klemperer, Johann Friedrich Reichardt, Bernard Reichel, Ernest Vietor, Hermann Hans Wetzler, Hugo Wolf, Alexander Zemlinsky. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2015-11-03 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2015-11-03 17:47:43
Line count: 12
Word count: 35