Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Midnight's bell goes ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, Then dogs do howl, and not a bird does sing But the nightingale, and she cries twit, twit, twit; Owls then on every bough do sit; Ravens croak on chimneys' tops; The cricket in the chamber hops; The nibbling mouse is not asleep, But he goes peep, peep, peep, peep, peep; And the cats cry mew, mew, mew, And still the cats cry mew, mew, mew.
- by Thomas Middleton (1570? - 1627), appears in Blurt, Master Constable [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Midnight's bell goes ting, ting, ting", op. 60 no. 4, from Nocturne for tenor solo, seven obligato instruments and string orchestra, no. 4. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Jean-Pierre Granger)
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "La campana a mitjanit fa ting, ting, ting", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:41
Line count: 10
Word count: 74
La campana a mitjanit fa ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, llavors els gossos udolen i no canta cap ocell, però el rossinyol crida tuit, tuit, tuit; llavors les òlibes s’asseuen a cada branca; els corbs grallen a dalt de les xemeneies; el grill fa salts per la cambra, el ratolí rosegador no dorm, però fa pip, pip, pip, pip, pip; i els gats miau, miau, miau, i encara els gats fan miau, miau, miau.
- Translation from English to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2016 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Thomas Middleton (1570? - 1627), appears in Blurt, Master Constable
Text added to the website: 2016-03-29 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-03-29 17:31:59
Line count: 10
Word count: 74