Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Priez pour paix Doulce Vierge Marie Reyne des cieulx et du monde maîtresse Faictes prier par vostre courtoisie Saints et Saintes et prenez vostre adresse Vers vostre Fils Requerant sa haultesse Qu'il Lui plaise son peuple regarder Que de son sang a voulu racheter En déboutant guerre qui tout desvoye De prières ne vous vueillez lasser Priez pour paix, priez pour paix Le vray trésor de joye.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Charles, Duc d'Orléans (1394 - 1465) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Maxime Jacob (1906 - 1977), "Priez pour paix" [text verified 1 time]
- by Francis Poulenc (1899 - 1963), "Priez pour paix", FP. 95 (1938). [text verified 1 time]
- by Florent Schmitt (1870 - 1958), "Ballade pour la paix", op. 136 no. 2, published 1957 [vocal duet for 2 female voices with piano], from Trois duos, no. 2, Paris, Éd. Durand & Cie. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Faith J. Cormier) , title 1: "Pray for peace", copyright © 2001, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Ingrid Schmithüsen) , title 1: "Betet für Frieden", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Pray for peace, sweet Virgin Mary, Queen of Heaven and mistress of the world. In your courtesy, have the saints pray too, and address your Son, begging His Highness to deign to look on His people, whom He redeemed with His blood, and to banish war which destroys all. Do not weary of our prayers. Pray for peace, pray for peace, the true treasure of joy.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2001 by Faith J. Cormier, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.