Kennst du das auch?
Language: German (Deutsch)
Kennst du das auch, daß manches Mal
Inmitten einer lauten Lust,
Bei einem Fest, in einem frohen Saal,
Du plötzlich schweigen und hinweggehn mußt?
Denn legst du dich aufs Lager ohne Schlaf
Wie Einer, den ein plötzlich Heimweh traf;
Lust und Gelächter ist verstiebt wie Rauch,
Du weinst, weinst ohne Halt -- Kennst du das auch?
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 91.
Submitted by John Versmoren and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hermann Grabner (1886 - 1969), "Kennst du das auch?", 1950/1 [voice and piano], from Acht Hermann Hesse-Lieder, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Erwin Hauff (1894 - 1960), "Kennst du das auch?", 1927. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Otto Jochum (1898 - 1969), "Kennst du das auch?", op. 139 no. 4 (<<1953) [low voice and oboe with speaker ad libitum], from Stufen der Einsamkeit, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Leo Kieslich (1882 - 1956), "Kennst du das auch?" [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Erich Kirschner , "Kennst du das auch?" [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Kennst du das auch?", op. 33 no. 2 [high voice and piano], from Vier Lieder für hohe Stimme nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Kennst du das auch?", op. 24b no. 4 (1906), published 1917 [voice and piano], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Spitteler, Gamper, Hesse und Keller, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl von Szelle , "Kennst du das auch?", 1925 [voice and piano], from Sechszehn [sic] Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 11. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Do you, too, know that?", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Connais-tu aussi", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-12-03 07:59:32
Line count: 8
Word count: 55
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Do you, too, know that?
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Do you, too, know that: how sometimes
In the midst of a raucous delight,
At a celebration, in a joyful hall,
You suddenly feel as if you must fall silent and go away?
Then you lie down upon your bed without sleep,
Like one who has suddenly been beset by homesickness;
Delight and laughter have dissipated like smoke,
You weep, weep without stopping -- Do you, too, know that?
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Kennst du das auch?", written 1901 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Hermann Grabner, Erwin Hauff, Otto Jochum, Leo Kieslich, Erich Kirschner, Immo Schneider, Othmar Schoeck, Carl von Szelle. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2019-01-06.
Last modified: 2019-01-06 11:24:29
Line count: 8
Word count: 68