Language: German (Deutsch)
Wie über eines tiefen Brunnens Rand,
So fallen Tage mir und Nächte nun
Leer, ohne Lust noch Leid noch Lied noch Tun
Gleich welken Sommerrosen aus der Hand.
Ich achte nicht, wie mir die Zeit vergeht,
Ich sehe nur, wie meiner Liebe Stern
Weitab gewendet schattenhaft und fern
Am bleichen Himmel meines Lebens steht.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 89.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Beckert , "Ohne Liebe", op. 382 (1947) [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ferdinand Gerhardt , "Ohne Liebe" [medium voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Hasse (1883 - 1960), "Ohne Liebe", op. 98 (Sieben Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse) no. 1 (1949) [mezzo-soprano, alto, or baritone and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Walther Hecklinger , "Ohne Liebe", 1929 [voice and piano], from Hesse-Lieder, no. 6 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Sándor Jemnitz (1890 - 1963), "Ohne Liebe", op. 2 (Neun Lieder) no. 8, published 1917 [medium voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Philippine Schick (1893 - 1970), "Ohne Liebe ", op. 29 no. 1, published 1937 [soprano and piano], from Vom Frieden der Liebe, no. 1 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinz Zabel , "Ohne Liebe ", <<1949 [voice and piano], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, subsequently removed from the cycle [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Without love", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Sans amour", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-04-30 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2019-03-22 21:44:58
Line count: 8
Word count: 54
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
As over the edge of a deep well,
Days and nights now fall from my hand --
Empty, neither with joy nor pain nor song nor action --
Like wilting summer roses.
I do not heed how time passes for me,
I only see how the star of my love,
Turned far away from me, shadow-like and distant,
Stands upon the pale sky of my life.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Ohne Liebe", written 1901 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Ernst Beckert, Ferdinand Gerhardt, Karl Hasse, Walther Hecklinger, Sándor Jemnitz, Philippine Schick, Heinz Zabel. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2019-05-01 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2019-05-01 10:01:47
Line count: 8
Word count: 64