Language: German (Deutsch)
Ich ruhe still im hohen grünen Gras
Und sende lange meinen Blick nach oben,
Von Grillen rings umschwirrt ohn Unterlaß,
Von Himmelsbläue wundersam umwoben.
[Und schönen weiße]1 Wolken ziehn dahin
Durchs tiefe Blau, wie schöne stille Träume;
Mir ist, als ob ich längst gestorben bin
Und ziehe selig mit durch ew'ge Räume.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG ENG ENG ENG FRE FRE ITA SPA
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Brahms, Ives: "Die schönen weißen"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Sílvia Pujalte Piñán) , "Solitud al camp", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Eenzaam in het veld", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Henry Phillips Jr.) , "Field Solitude"
- ENG English (Elisabeth Siekhaus) , "Solitude in a field", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Anonymous/Unidentified Artist) , "In summer fields"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Seul dans les champs", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) [singable] (Victor Wilder) , "Solitude champetre"
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Solitudine campestre", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elena María Accinelli) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2003-11-05.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:58
Line count: 8
Word count: 52
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Solitude in a field
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
I rest quietly in the tall green grass
And for a long time send my gaze aloft,
Surrounded by the unceasing whirr of crickets,
Enfolded wondrously by blue sky.
The lovely white clouds drift by
Through the deep blue, like beautiful, silent dreams;
I feel as though I am long dead
And drift blissfully along through eternal space.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Elisabeth Siekhaus, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-06-14.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:44
Line count: 8
Word count: 58