Nun ist es Herbst, die Blätter fallen
Language: German (Deutsch)
Nun ist es Herbst, die Blätter fallen,
Den Wald durchbraust des Scheidens Weh;
Den Lenz und seine Nachtigallen
[Versäumt']1 ich auf der wüsten See.
Der Himmel schien so mild, so helle,
Verloren ging sein warmes Licht;
Es blühte nicht die Meereswelle,
Die rohen Winde sangen nicht.
Und mir verging die Jugend traurig,
Des Frühlings Wonne blieb versäumt;
Der Herbst durchweht mich trennungsschaurig,
Mein Herz dem Tod entgegenträumt.
Translation(s): ENG ENG FRE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Wolf: "Verträumt' "
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carl Heinrich Döring (1834 - 1916), "Herbst", op. 62 (Drei Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 2, published 1886 [voice and piano], Dresden, Hoffarth [ sung text not verified ]
- by Toni Edelmann (b. 1945), "Herbst", published c2003 [voice and piano], from Herbstlieder, no. 13, Helsinki : Sulasol [ sung text not verified ]
- by Carl Machts (1846 - 1903), "Herbstlied", op. 32 (Fünf Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 3, published 1876 [voice and piano], Berlin, Luckhardt [ sung text not verified ]
- by Richard Metzdorff (1844 - 1919), "Herbst", op. 20 no. 5, published 1875 [voice and piano], Braunschweig, Litolff [ sung text not verified ]
- by Alberto Nepomuceno (1864 - 1920), "Herbst", 1894. [voice and piano] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by George Posca , "Herbstlied", op. 14 ([Sechs] Lieder und Gesänge für 1 Stimme mit Pianoforte) no. 5, published 1885 [voice and piano], Hamburg, Haring [ sung text not verified ]
- by Robert Ruschke , "Herbst", op. 1, published 1900 [voice and piano], from Aus tiefster Seele. Lieder-Album für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 1, Leipzig, Carl Rühle [ sung text not verified ]
- by J. Schaureck , "Herbst", published 1882 [voice and piano], from Sechs Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte, no. 5, Leipzig, Kahnt [ sung text not verified ]
- by Max Stange (1856 - 1932), "Herbstgefühl", op. 11 (Drei Gesänge für 1 mittlere Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 2, published 1883 [medium voice and piano], Berlin, Paez [ sung text not verified ]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Herbst" [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Walter A. Aue) , title 1: "Autumn", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Automne", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2016-09-13 14:44:30
Line count: 12
Word count: 67
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The autumn came, the leaves are falling,
through woods resounds its parting plea;
when spring and nightingales were calling
I missed them on the lonely sea.
How once so bright were sky and hour
that now no longer solace bring:
the ocean's swells refused to flower,
the ocean's tempests did not sing.
So I have spent my young days grieving
and missing spring's enchanting breath;
the autumn sings the song of leaving:
my heart keeps dreaming towards its death.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Walter A. Aue, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Walter A. Aue. Contact:
<waue (AT) dal (DOT) ca>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Nikolaus Lenau (1802 - 1850), "Herbst", written 1833, appears in Gedichte, in 1. Erstes Buch, in Herbst FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Carl Heinrich Döring, Toni Edelmann, Carl Machts, Richard Metzdorff, Alberto Nepomuceno, George Posca, Robert Ruschke, J. Schaureck, Max Stange, Hugo Wolf. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2008-10-16.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:58
Line count: 12
Word count: 79