Brennessel steht am Wegesrand
Language: German (Deutsch)
Brennessel steht am Wegesrand,
Neider und Feinde hab' ich in Stadt und Land.
Neidet, haßt, verleumdet,
doch das bringt mir keine Not,
Wenn mir nur mein süßes Liebchen
treu bleibt bis zum Tod.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FIN FRE ITA
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Brennessel steht am Wegesrand", op. 112 (Sechs Quartette für S., A., T. und B. mit Pianoforte) no. 5 (1891), published 1892 [SATB quartet and piano], from the collection Vier Zigeunerlieder, no. 3, Leipzig, Peters [
text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Stinging nettles stand at the side of the road", copyright ©
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Milla Valkeasuo) , title 1: "Polttavat nokkoset kasvavat tien reunassa", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Les orties se dressent au bord du chemin", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Sta l'ortica al bordo della strada", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-12-17 12:08:17
Line count: 6
Word count: 33
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Sta l'ortica al bordo della strada
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Sta l'ortica al bordo della strada,
Invidiosi e nemici mi assediano in città e in campagna.
Ma invidia, odio, calunnie,
non mi danno pena,
se la mia amata mi resta fedele
fino alla morte.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-12-30.
Last modified: 2015-12-17 12:08:52
Line count: 6
Word count: 34