Language: German (Deutsch) after the Italian (Italiano)
O Fischer auf den Fluten, Fidelin!
Komm schnell zu fischen her!
Und auf seinem schmucken Kahne,
auf dem Kahne rudert er.
"Was willst du, dass ich fische?" Fidelin!
Mein Ringlein fiel ins Meer.
Dir lohnt die schönste Börse, Fidelin!
Von hundert Talern schwer.
"Nicht will ich deine Börse, Fidelin!
Von hundert Talern schwer."
"Ein liebevolles Küsschen, Fidelin!
Ein Kuss ist mein Begehr."
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Barcarole", op. 44 (Zwölf Lieder und Romanzen für Frauenchor a capella oder mit willk. Pianofortebegleitung) no. 3 (1860), published 1867 [SSAA chorus with optional piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [
text verified 1 time]
Settings in other languages or adaptations:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914) , title 1: "Barcarole" by Alexander Winterberger, Heinrich , Freiherr von Herzogenberg.
Other available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Kelly Dean Hansen) , title 1: "Barcarole", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Barcarolle", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Barcarole", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2005-08-29.
Last modified: 2015-08-16 11:03:03
Line count: 18
Word count: 69
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
O fisher on the waters - Fidelin!
Come quickly here to fish!
And on his tidy little boat,
On the boat he rows.
"What would you wish me to fish?" - Fidelin!
My little ring fell in the sea.
You shall be rewarded with the finest purse! - Fidelin!
Filled with a hundred thalers.
"I do not want your purse, Fidelin!
Filled with a hundred thalers."
"A tender kiss, Fidelin!
A kiss is my desire."
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Kelly Dean Hansen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2010-10-22.
Last modified: 2015-09-15 21:10:27
Line count: 18
Word count: 82