Flammenauge, dunkles Haar
Language: German (Deutsch) after the Russian (Русский)
Flammenauge, dunkles Haar,
Knabe wonnig und verwogen,
Kummer ist durch dich hinein
in mein armes Herz gezogen!
Kann in Eis der Sonne Brand,
sich in Nacht der Tag verkehren?
Kann die heisse Menschenbrust
atmen ohne Glutbegehren?
Ist die Flur so voller Licht,
daß die Blum' im Dunkel stehe?
Ist die Welt so voller Lust,
daß das Herz in Qual vergehe?
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FIN FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Mimi Ezust
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Eduard Behm (1862 - 1946), "Russisch", op. 9 (Fünf Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 2, published 1892 [voice and piano], Berlin, Raabe & Plothow [ sung text not verified ]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Flammenauge, dunkles Haar", op. 65 no. 14 (1875), published 1875 [vocal quartet and piano four-hands or instrumental ensemble], from Neue Liebeslieder, no. 14, Berlin, Simrock [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Flaming eyes, dark hair", copyright ©
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Occhi di brace, chioma corvina", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-02-15 17:14:03
Line count: 12
Word count: 60
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Occhi di brace, chioma corvina
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Occhi di brace, chioma corvina,
fanciullo delizioso e audace,
per causa tua il dolore
è penetrato nel mio povero cuore!
Può il calore del sole diventare ghiaccio
e il giorno trasformarsi in notte?
Può il petto ardente di un uomo
respirare senza bramare di desiderio?
Forse che i prati sono così pieni di luce,
affinché i fiori stiano al buio?
Forse che il mondo è così pieno di piaceri,
affinché il cuore si perda nei tormenti?
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2012 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2012-09-24.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:03
Line count: 12
Word count: 76