Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Über Berg und Tal Mit lautem Schall Tönet ein Liedchen. Durch Schnee und Eis Dringt es so heiß Bis zu dem Hüttchen. Wo das Feuer brummt, Wo das Rädchen summt Im traulichen Stübchen. Um den Tisch herum Sitzen sie stumm. Hörst du mich, Liebchen? Im kalten Schnee, Sieh! wie ich steh', Sing' zu Dir, Mädchen! Hat denn mein Lied So dich erglüht Oder das Rädchen? O liebliche Zeit Wie bist du so weit! O selige Stunden! Ach nur ein Blick War unser Glück. Ewig verschwunden!
- by Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Canto invernale", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Chant d'hiver", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Winter song", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:40
Line count: 24
Word count: 85
Over hill and dale resounding loud a little song rings out. Through snow and ice it carries fervently as far as the cottage where the fire crackles, where the spinning-wheel hums in the cosy little room. Around the table they silently sit. Can you hear me, dear? In the cold snow, look, how I stand and sing to you, maiden! Has my song made you glow, or was it the spinning-wheel? Oh, time full of joys, how far away you are! Oh blissful hours! Ah, but a blink was our bliss. Forever lost!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
Text added to the website: 2014-03-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:30
Line count: 24
Word count: 93