Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Non perdo la calma fra’ ceppi o gli allori; non va sino all’alma la mia servitù. Combatte i rigori di sorte incostante in vario sembiante l’istessa virtù
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Attilio Regolo [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carlo Monza (c1735 - 1801), "Non perdo la calma", 1778, first performed 1778 [ strings, tenor voice, and continuo ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "Whether in chains", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 27
Whether in chains, or crowned with laurels, I do not lose my composure. My servitude does not place my soul in bondage. Virtue herself, in various guises, combats the torments of inconstant Fortune.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2019 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Attilio Regolo
This text was added to the website: 2019-10-25
Line count: 8
Word count: 33