Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
They dropped like flakes, They dropped like stars, Like petals from a rose, When suddenly across the June A wind with fingers goes. They perished in the seamless grass No eye could find the place, But God can summon every face Of His repealless list.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gloria Coates (b. 1938), "Armistice", from 15 Songs on Poems by Emily Dickinson, no. 11. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 45
Ils tombaient comme des Flocons -- Ils tombaient comme des étoiles -- Comme des Pétales d'une Rose -- Quand soudain en Juin Un Vent avec des doigts -- vient -- Ils périrent dans l'Herbe sans couture -- Aucun œil ne put trouver l'endroit -- Mais Dieu peut convoquer chaque visage -- Sur sa Liste -- sans Annulation.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Armistice" = "Armistice"
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-11-08
Line count: 9
Word count: 48