Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Son fra l'onde in mezzo al mare, E al furor di doppio vento; Or resisto, or mi sgomento Fra la speme, e fra l'orror. Per la fe, per la tua vita Or pavento, or sono ardita, E ritrovo egual martire Nell' ardire e nel timor.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 566-567.
The text appears in "Gli Orti Esperidi", parte I, Aria di Venere.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1721, appears in Gli Orti Esperidi [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Son fra l'onde", D 78 (1813), published 1895 [ soprano and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Estic entre les onades", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Gary D. Cannon) , "I am among the waves", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Je suis parmi les vagues", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
Estic entre les onades al mig del mar, i en el furor del vent acrescut; ara resisteixo, adés m'espanto, entre l'esperança i l'horror. Per la fe, per la teva vida, ara tinc por, adés sóc valenta i trobo semblant martiri en la gosadia i en el temor.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2017 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1721, appears in Gli Orti Esperidi
This text was added to the website: 2017-12-28
Line count: 8
Word count: 47