Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Basta così; ti cedo. Qual mi vorrai son io; ma per pietà lo chiedo, non dimandar perché. Tanto sul voler mio chi ti donò d’impero non osa il mio pensiero né men cercar fra sé.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Antigono [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "Basta così; ti cedo" [strings, soprano voice, and continuo] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "Enough; I yield", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2018-05-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-08-14 21:04:14
Line count: 8
Word count: 35
Enough; I yield. I am what you want, but do not ask me why I seek pity from the likes of you. My thoughts do not dare so much as to look upon themselves as much as upon my will, which granted you empire in the first place.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Antigono
Text added to the website: 2018-06-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-06-09 14:15:15
Line count: 9
Word count: 48