Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Io non so se amor tu sei che penar così mi fai; ma se amor tu fossi mai ah nasconditi nel sen. Se di nascermi nel petto impedirti io non potei, a morirvi ignoto affetto obbligarti io voglio almen.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Antigono [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "Io non so se amor tu sei" [strings and soprano voice] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "I do not know if it is you, Love", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2018-05-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-08-14 21:04:09
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
I do not know if it is you, Love, who causes me to suffer so. But if you are not Love, pray hide yourself in my breast. If I can't prevent you from being born in my heart, I must at least oblige you, ignoble affection, to perish.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Antigono
Text added to the website: 2018-06-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-06-09 14:25:10
Line count: 8
Word count: 48