Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Fra mille furori che calma non hanno, fra mille timori che intorno mi stanno, accender mi sento, mi sento gelar. In quei che lusingo mi fingo i rubelli; e tremo di quelli che faccio tremar.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ciro riconosciuto [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "Fra mille furori", 1751, first performed 1751 [ 2 horns, 2 oboes, strings, tenor voice, and continuo ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "Among one thousand furors deprived of calm", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-09
Line count: 10
Word count: 35
Among one thousand furors deprived of calm, among one thousand fears which are all around me, I feel myself burning and freezing all over. Those that I flatter, I imagine to be enemies, and I tremble in the face of those I cause to tremble.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ciro riconosciuto
This text was added to the website: 2018-07-20
Line count: 7
Word count: 45