Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Chi mi vuol bene presto mel dica, che per capire non vo’ fatica né intisichire per civiltà. Tutti i biglietti io ve li dono; sono seccagini; son melansagini e alla più presta da testa a testa tutto si fa.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Carlo Goldoni (1707 - 1793), appears in La finta semplice [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "Whoever loves me", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-20
Line count: 13
Word count: 39
Whoever loves me, let him tell me quickly. For I do not wish to tire myself out or become consumptive just to understand his meaning, for all his vaunted politesse. I will give you back all your letters; they are absolutely silly and a nuisance; everything can be done so much more easily face-to-face.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Carlo Goldoni (1707 - 1793), appears in La finta semplice
This text was added to the website: 2018-07-27
Line count: 14
Word count: 54