Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Son rege al trono, e son amante a letto. Questo cor non meno apprezza del diadema al crin ristretto il tesor d'una bellezza, o l'avorio d'un bel petto. Son rege al trono, e son amante a letto. L'aureo scettro è mio tesoro, un bel volto è mio diletto, se m'alletta il serto d'oro a ciascuna do il mio affetto. Son rege al trono, e son amante a letto.
- by Giacomo Francesco Bussani (flourished 1673-1680) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antonio Sartorio (1630 - 1680), "Son rege al trono, e son amante a letto", 1676, first performed 1676. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "On the throne, I am a king. In bed, a lover.", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-07-27
Line count: 11
Word count: 68
On the throne, I am a king. In bed, a lover. This heart does not prize any less than the diadem fitting cosily upon one's head, the treasure of beauty itself, or a luscious breast, white as ivory. On the throne, I am a king. In bed, a lover. The golden scepter is my treasure, a pretty face my delight. If a golden wreath should attract any lady, I shall give her my affection. On the throne, I am a king. In bed, a lover.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giacomo Francesco Bussani (flourished 1673-1680)
This text was added to the website: 2018-07-30
Line count: 11
Word count: 85