Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Base al regno e guida al trono, ciò che giova si comande; le virtù, le leggi sono freno al vil, non meta al grande.
- by Apostolo Zeno (1669 - 1750), appears in Teuzzone [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antonio Vivaldi (1678 - 1741), "Base al regno e guida al trono", RV 736 (1719), first performed 1719, from opera Teuzzone [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "The foundation of my rule", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-25
Line count: 4
Word count: 24
The foundation of my rule, and my guide to the throne: "I must do that which benefits me." Virtues and laws are nothing but a restraint to get cowards to back away, and not a goal to which the great should aspire.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Apostolo Zeno (1669 - 1750), appears in Teuzzone
This text was added to the website: 2018-08-10
Line count: 8
Word count: 42