Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Entra l'uomo, allor che nasce, In un mar di tante pene, Che s'avvezza dalle fasce Ogni affanno a sostener. Ma per lui sì raro è il bene, Ma la gioia è così rara, Che a soffrir mai non impara Le sorprese del piacer.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 546.
The text appears in "Isacco figura del redentore", parte II, Aria di Abramo
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1740, appears in Isacco figura del redentore [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Niccolò Jommelli (1714 - 1774), "Entra l'uomo allor che nasce", 1742, first performed 1742 [ strings and tenor voice ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Entra l'uomo, allor che nasce", D 33 (1812), published 1940 [ voices ], 6 composition exercises (during Schubert's studies with Salieri) for 1 to 4 voices [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Entra l’home, quan neix", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , "Man enters, at the hour he is born", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Air d'Abraham", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 43
Entra l’home, quan neix, en un mar de tantes sofrences, que des del bressol s’avesa a suportar totes les penes. Però, per a ell el bé és tan rar, i tan rara la joia, que no aprèn mai a suportar la sorpresa del plaer.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2019 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1740, appears in Isacco figura del redentore
This text was added to the website: 2019-04-16
Line count: 8
Word count: 44