Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Lascia i tuoi vecchi libri e dammi un bacio, Spalanca le finestre: ecco l'April! Che odore di viole! Che cinguettio di rondini! Usciamo al sole! Ho la veste e i pensier color del cielo; Vedi, anco gli occhi: usciamo! Ecco l'April!
- by Anna Emilia (Annie) Vivanti (1868 - 1942) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ruggiero Leoncavallo (1857 - 1919), "Aprile" [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , "April", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Kyle Gee
This text was added to the website: 2012-08-20
Line count: 7
Word count: 41
Lass doch deine alten Bücher, gib mir einen Kuss, öffne alle Fenster weit: Sieh, es ist April! Welch ein Duft entströmt den Veilchen! Hör doch, wie die Schwalben zwitschern! Gehn wir in die Sonne! Was ich trage, was ich denke: es ist himmelfarben; schau, auch meine Augen: Auf, hinaus, es ist April!
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2020 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2020-08-28
Line count: 7
Word count: 52