As I walked out one evening [ ... ]
E. Lutyens sets stanzas 1-4, 6, 8-10, 13-15
N. Rorem sets stanzas 1-4, 6, 8, 10-11, 14-15
About the headline (FAQ)This text may be copyright, so we will not display it until we obtain permission to do so or discover it is public-domain.
First published in New Statesman and Nation, January 1938
- by W. H. (Wystan Hugh) Auden (1907 - 1973), "Song", copyright © 1938 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Rodney Bennett (1936 - 2012), "One evening", c1968 [ tenor and guitar ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Geoffrey David Gibbs (b. 1940), "As I walked out one evening" [ low voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Juliana Hall (b. 1958), "As I walked out one evening", 1992, first performed 1995 [ baritone and piano ], from Death's Echo -- 5 songs for Baritone and Piano, no. 1 [sung text not yet checked]
- by (Agnes) Elisabeth Lutyens (1906 - 1983), "As I walked out one evening", published 1942, stanzas 1-4,6,8-10,13-15 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ned Rorem (b. 1923), "As I Walked Out One Evening", 1997, published 1999, stanzas 1-4,6,8,10-11,14-15, from Evidence of Things Not Seen, no. 24 [sung text checked 1 time]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 60
Word count: 336