From whence cometh song? [ ... ]
About the headline (FAQ)This text may be copyright, so we will not display it until we obtain permission to do so or discover it is public-domain.
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Hagen: "its"
- by Theodore Roethke (1908 - 1963), "Song (From whence cometh song?)", appears in The Far Field, first published 1964, copyright © [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Daron Aric Hagen (b. 1961), "Song", 1983-99, first performed 1999 [ voice and piano ], from Heart of the Stranger, no. 10 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ned Rorem (b. 1923), "Song", from The Nantucket Songs, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ned Rorem (b. 1923), "From whence cometh song", 1997, published 1999 [ voice and piano ], from Evidence of Things Not Seen, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Simon Sargon (b. 1938), "Song", 2000 [ voice and piano ], from Intimations of Mortality, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
This text was added to the website: 2004-08-04
Line count: 12
Word count: 57