Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tes yeux sont doux comme ceux d'une fille, Jeune étranger, Et la courbe fine De ton beau visage de duvet ombragé Est plus séduisante encor de ligne. Ta lèvre chante sur le pas de ma porte Une langue inconnue et charmante Comme une musique fausse. Entre! Et que mon vin te réconforte... Mais non, tu passes Et de mon seuil je te vois t'éloigner Me faisant un dernier geste avec grâce Et la hanche légèrement ployée Par ta démarche féminine et lasse...
- by Arthur Justin Léon Leclère (1874 - 1966), as Tristan Klingsor, appears in Schéhérazade [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937), "L'Indifférent", published 1903 [soprano or tenor and orchestra], from Shéhérazade, no. 3. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Ahmed E. Ismail) , title 1: "The indifferent one", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Der Gleichgültige", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "L’indiferent", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 14
Word count: 82
Your eyes are soft, like those of a girl, Young stranger, And the fine curve Of your handsome face with shadowed down Is more seductive still. Your lip sings, on the step of my door, A tongue unknown and charming Like dissonant music. Enter! And let my wine comfort you. . . . But no, you pass by And from my door I watch you depart, Making a last graceful gesture to me, Your hip lightly bent In your feminine and weary gait. . . .
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2005 by Ahmed E. Ismail, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Arthur Justin Léon Leclère (1874 - 1966), as Tristan Klingsor, appears in Schéhérazade
This text was added to the website: 2005-07-25
Line count: 14
Word count: 86