Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ma rendi pur contento della mia bella il core, e ti perdono, amore, se lieto il mio non è. Gli affanni suoi pavento più degli affanni miei, perché più vivo in lei di quel ch'io vivo in me.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ipermestra [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Vincenzo Bellini (1801 - 1835), "Ma rendi pur contento", from Sei Ariette, no. 6. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Barbara Miller) , "Only make her happy", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Aber mache doch nur", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
Aber mache doch nur das Herz meiner Schönen glücklich, und ich werde dir, Liebe, verzeihen, wenn meines nicht froh ist. Ihren Kummer fürchte ich mehr als meinen Kummer, weil ich mehr in ihr lebe als in mir.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2006 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ipermestra
This text was added to the website: 2006-01-11
Line count: 8
Word count: 37