Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Sola mi lasci a piangere nel mio dolor spietato, barbaro ingiusto fato. Lassa, che fia di me. Come potrò resistere a sì crudele affanno? Empi, ben mio, tiranno! Voglio morir con te.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Adriano in Siria [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Battista Pergolesi (1710 - 1736), "Sola mi lasci a piangere" [ strings and soprano voice ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "You leave me to weep alone", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2018-04-08 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-08-14 12:23:34
Line count: 8
Word count: 32
You leave me to weep alone, barbarous, unjust fate, mired in my cruel suffering. Alas! What will become of me? How will I possibly resist such crushing anguish? Wicked, tyrannical beloved! I wish to die with you.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2020 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Adriano in Siria
Text added to the website: 2020-01-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-02 12:13:58
Line count: 8
Word count: 37