Somne levis! quanquam certissima mortis imago, Consortem cupio te tamen esse tori. Alma quies, optata, veni! nam sic sine vita Vivere, quam suave est, sic sine morte mori!
- by Heinrich Meibom (1638 - 1700), "Somne levis" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Roland Leistner-Mayer (b. 1945), "Somne levis", op. 124 (2005) [mixed chorus a cappella] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Julia von Bose , "To sleep", copyright © 1951 CAT FRE FRE GER ITA ; composed by Joseph Kaufer.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875) , "An den Schlaf" CAT ENG ENG FRE FRE ITA ; composed by Hanns Eisler, Joseph Kaufer, Emil Kauffmann, Roger Matscheizik, Fritz Schieri, Hugo Wolf.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "A la son", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2007-06-29 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:24
Line count: 4
Word count: 28