Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Somne levis! quanquam certissima mortis imago, Consortem cupio te tamen esse tori. Alma quies, optata, veni! nam sic sine vita Vivere, quam suave est, sic sine morte mori!
- by Heinrich Meibom (1638 - 1700), "Somne levis" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Roland Leistner-Mayer (b. 1945), "Somne levis", op. 124 (2005) [mixed chorus a cappella] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Julia von Bose , "To sleep", copyright © 1951 CAT FRE FRE GER ITA ; composed by Joseph Kaufer.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875) , "An den Schlaf" CAT ENG ENG FRE FRE ITA ; composed by Hanns Eisler, Joseph Kaufer, Emil Kauffmann, Roger Matscheizik, Fritz Schieri, Hugo Wolf.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "A la son", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2007-06-29 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:24
Line count: 4
Word count: 28
Oh son! Dolça son! Malgrat que res s’assembli més a la mort que tu, en aquest jaç et dono la benvinguda! Car així, sense vida, com és d’agradable viure! Tan lluny de la mort, ai, que fàcil és morir!
- Translation from Latin to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2019 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2019-02-27 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-02-27 11:54:54
Line count: 4
Word count: 39