Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Au bord de l'île on voit Les canots vides qui s'entre-cognent, Et maintenant Ni le dimanche, ni les jours de la semaine, Ni les peintres ni Maupassant ne se promènent Bras nus sur leurs canots avec des femmes à grosses poitrines Et bêtes comme chou. Petits bateaux vous me faites bien de la peine Au bord de l'île.
- by Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki (1880 - 1918), as Guillaume Apollinaire, "La grenouillère", written 1912, appears in Il y a, Paris, Éd. Messein, first published 1925 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Caby (1905 - 1992), "La grenouillère", 1947. [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Francis Poulenc (1899 - 1963), "La grenouillère", op. 5, FP. 96. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Derek Welton) , title 1: "The Froggery", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 58
By the shore of the island one sees The empty boats which bump against each other, And now Neither on Sundays, nor on weekdays, Neither painters nor Maupassant go walking With bare arms on their boats with women of full bosom And stupid like cabbage. Little boats, you make me very sorrowful By the shore of the island.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2007 by Derek Welton, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki (1880 - 1918), as Guillaume Apollinaire, "La grenouillère", written 1912, appears in Il y a, Paris, Éd. Messein, first published 1925
This text was added to the website: 2007-07-25
Line count: 9
Word count: 58