Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Now I lay thee down to sleep, I pray the Lord thy dust to keep, and if thou live before thou wake, I pray the Lord thy soul to make.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gloria Coates (b. 1938), "On the death of a child", from 15 Songs on Poems by Emily Dickinson, no. 10 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Logan Skelton , "Now I lay thee down to Sleep", 2008 [ soprano and piano ], from Dickinson Songs, Book 2: The Unknown Peninsula, no. 11 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Auf eines Kindes Tod", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 30
Nun muss ich dich zur ew'gen Ruhe betten; ich fleh' zum Herrn, er möge deinen Leib erretten; und wenn du lebst, eh' du erweckt wirst sein, hauche der Herr dir deine Seele ein.
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2007 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2007-12-03
Line count: 4
Word count: 33