Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Now I lay thee down to sleep, I pray the Lord thy dust to keep, and if thou live before thou wake, I pray the Lord thy soul to make.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gloria Coates (b. 1938), "On the death of a child", from 15 Songs on Poems by Emily Dickinson, no. 10 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Logan Skelton , "Now I lay thee down to Sleep", 2008 [ soprano and piano ], from Dickinson Songs, Book 2: The Unknown Peninsula, no. 11 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Auf eines Kindes Tod", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:26
Line count: 4
Word count: 30
Nun muss ich dich zur ew'gen Ruhe betten; ich fleh' zum Herrn, er möge deinen Leib erretten; und wenn du lebst, eh' du erweckt wirst sein, hauche der Herr dir deine Seele ein.
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2007 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
Text added to the website: 2007-12-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:32
Line count: 4
Word count: 33