Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Quell'innocente figlio, Dono del Ciel sì raro, Quel figlio a te sì caro, Quello vuol Dio da te. Vuol che rimanga esangue Sotto al paterno ciglio; Vuol che ne sparga il sangue Chi vita già gli diè.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 543.
The text appears in "Isacco figura del redentore", parte I, Aria dell' Angelo.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1740, appears in Isacco figura del redentore [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Niccolò Jommelli (1714 - 1774), "Quell'innocente figlio", 1742, first performed 1742 [ strings and soprano voice ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Quell'innocente figlio", D 17 (1812?), published 1940, 9 composition exercises (during Schubert's studies with Salieri) for 1 to 4 voices without piano (piano part added by Reinhard van Hoorickx) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Aquell fill innocent", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "That innocent son", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ce fils innocent", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Dieser unschuldige Sohn", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 37
Dieser unschuldige Sohn, solch' seltenes Geschenk des Himmels, der Sohn, der dir so teuer ist, ihn fordert Gott von dir. Er möchte, dass ich schwach bleibe vor Seinen väterlichen Augen, er verlangt von mir, das Blut dessen zu vergießen, dem ich das Leben gegeben habe.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2008 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1740, appears in Isacco figura del redentore
This text was added to the website: 2008-02-27
Line count: 8
Word count: 45