Sir, I admit your general rule, That every poet is a fool, But you yourself may serve to show it, That every fool is not a poet.
- possibly by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772 - 1834) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- possibly by Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joel Weiss , "Epigram", 1994. [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Jürg Wyttenbach (b. 1935), "Epigram", 1964, from Two Nonsense Verses, an Epigram and a Madrigal, no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Barbara Rufer) , "Das Sinngedicht", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Barbara Rufer
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 27