Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
¡Dios te salve, Macarena, madre de los sevillanos, paz y vida! ¡La vida que alivia toda pena, la que cura con sus manos toda herida! ¡Dios te salve, luz del cielo, siempre estrella y siempre aurora de bonanza! ¡La que ampara todo anhelo; la divina sembradora de esperanza! ¡Dios te salve, Maria, madre de gracia llena; alma de Andalucía, sol de la Macarena!
- by Serafín Álvarez Quintero (1871 - 1938) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Joaquín Álvarez Quintero (1873 - 1944) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joaquín Turina (1882 - 1949), "Saeta en forma de Salve a la Virgen de la Esperanza", op. 60 (1930) [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , "Saeta in the form of a Hail Mary to the Virgin of Hope", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 63
God save you, Virgin of Macarena, mother of Sevillians, peace, and life! Life which eases all sorrow, whose hands heal all injury! God save you, light of heaven, always [a] star and [the] dawn of prosperity! She who protects all desire, the divine sower of hope! God save you, Mary, mother full of grace, soul of Andalusia, sun of La Macarena!
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2020 by Garrett Medlock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Serafín Álvarez Quintero (1871 - 1938) and by Joaquín Álvarez Quintero (1873 - 1944)
This text was added to the website: 2020-06-29
Line count: 10
Word count: 61