Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Voglio di vita uscir, voglio che cadano Quest'ossa in polve e queste membra in cenere, E che i singulti miei tra l'ombre vadano, Già che quel piè ch'ingemma l'herbe tenere Sempre fugge da me, ne lo trattengono I lacci, ohimè, del bel fanciul di Venere. [Miei sensi del sepolcro all' orlo vengono, E dalla vita quasi s' accongedano Poi ch'un sol pegno di mercè non tengono.]1 Vo che gl'abissi il mio cordoglio vedano, E l'aspro mio martir le furie piangano, E che i dannati al mio tormento cedano. A Dio crudel, [gli orgogli]2 tuoi rimangano A [crudelir con altri]3. A te rinuncio, Né vo' più che mie speme in te si frangano. S'apre la tomba, il mio morir t'annuncio. Una lagrima spargi, et alfin donami [Di tua tarda pietade un solo nuncio,]4 E s'amando t'offesi, homai perdonami.
1 omitted by Monteverdi.
2 Monteverdi: "gl'orgogli"
3 Monteverdi: "incrudelir con gl'altri"
4 omitted by Ferrari
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Benedetto Ferrari (c1603 - 1681), "Voglio di vita uscir" [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Voglio di vita uscir" [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Elizabeth Baber) , "I want to depart this life", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Je veux quitter la vie", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 19
Word count: 137
I want to depart this life, I want my bones to fall into dust, and my limbs into ashes, and my sobs to disappear among the shadows, since those feet, which adorn the tender grasses, are always fleeing from me; nor are they restrained, alas, by the bonds of the lovely son of Venus. I want the depths of hell to see my sorrow, and the Furies to weep for my harsh agony, and the damned to acknowledge my torment. Farewell, cruel one, let your pride remain to torture others; I renounce you! I no longer want you to dash my hopes to pieces. The tomb opens: my death is at hand. Shed but one tear, and at the last give me a single sign of your pity (now too late); and if my love has offended you, forgive me now!
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2008 by Elizabeth Baber, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2008-10-19
Line count: 16
Word count: 141