Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
The Spider holds a Silver Ball In unperceived Hands -- And dancing softly to Himself His Yarn of Pearl -- unwinds -- He plies from Nought to Nought -- In unsubstantial Trade -- Supplants our Tapestries with His -- In half the period -- An Hour to rear supreme His [Continents]1 of Light -- Then dangle from the Housewife's Broom -- His [Boundaries]2 -- forgot --
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Langert: "theories"
2 Langert: "sophistries"
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Bolts of Melody [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Jules Langert (b. 1932), "The spider holds a silver ball", from Three Emily Dickinson Songs, no. 2. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Walter A. Aue) , title unknown, copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 55
Die Spinne hält den Silber Ball in unerkannter Hand -- und, sanft im Tanze mit Sich Selbst, Ihr Perlengarn -- entspannt -- Sie treibt, vom Nichts zum Nichts -- gewichtlos Ihr Geschäft: Ihr'n Teppich, über dem von uns, viel schneller Sie erschafft. Ein Stündchen aufzubau'n der Kontinente Licht -- dann hängt vom Besen einer Magd -- Ihr Grenzgebiet -- zunicht --
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2010 by Walter A. Aue, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Walter A. Aue.  Contact: waue (AT) dal (DOT) caIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Bolts of Melody
This text was added to the website: 2010-01-12
Line count: 12
Word count: 53