Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Was mir wohl übrig bliebe, Wenn alles von mir flieht? Es bleibet noch die Liebe Und mit ihr manches Lied. Und mit der Liebe theil' ich Des Lebens Fröhlichkeit, Und mit den Liedern heil' ich Der Liebe Gram und Leid.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Buch der Liebe von Hoffmann von Fallersleben, Breslau, bei Georg Philipp Aderholz, 1836, page 23.
- by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798 - 1874), no title, appears in Buch der Liebe, Breslau, bei Georg Philipp Aderholz, first published 1836 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Louis [Ludwig] Spohr (1784 - 1859), "Was mir wohl übrig bliebe", op. 139 no. 5 (1836). [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "What would remain to me?", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2008-07-25
Line count: 8
Word count: 40
What would remain to me If I should become bereft of everything? Love would still remain And with it, many a sorrow. And with love I share The happiness of life, And with songs I heal The grief and anguish of love.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798 - 1874), no title, appears in Buch der Liebe, Breslau, bei Georg Philipp Aderholz, first published 1836
This text was added to the website: 2010-04-20
Line count: 8
Word count: 42