Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Rendimi il figlio mio; ah mi si spezza il cor; non son più madre, oh dio, non ho più figlio. Qual barbaro sarà che a tanto mio dolor non bagni per pietà di pianto il ciglio.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ciro riconosciuto [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "Rendimi il figlio mio", 1751, first performed 1751 [ strings, soprano voice, and continuo ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 36
Give me back my son! Ah yes, my heart breaks! No longer a mother, o God, I have a son no more. He is no better than a barbarian who would not bathe the skies with his tears out of pity for such pain as is mine.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2020 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ciro riconosciuto
This text was added to the website: 2020-01-21
Line count: 8
Word count: 47