Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die ihr aus dunklen Grüften Den eitlen Mammon grabt, Seht, was ihr hier in Lüften Für reiche Schätze habt. Sprecht nicht, es ist nur Farb' und Schein, Man zählt und schließt es nicht im Kasten ein.
- by Barthold Heinrich Brockes (1680 - 1747) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Georg Friedrich Händel (1685 - 1759), "Die ihr aus dunklen Grüften", HWV. 208, from Neun deutsche Arien, no. 7. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Vosaltres, que des d'obscurs sepulcres", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Hayden Muhl) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-07-01
Line count: 6
Word count: 36
You who from dark tombs dig up vain mammon, see what you here in the air have for treasures. Speak not, it is only color and light, one does not count it or shut it in chests.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2012 by Hayden Muhl, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2012-01-15
Line count: 6
Word count: 37