O Nacht, du Sternenbronnen
Language: German (Deutsch)
O Nacht, du Sternenbronnen,
ich bade Leib und Geist
in deinen tausend Sonnen--
O Nacht, die mich umfleußt
ergib mir, was du weißt!
O Nacht, du tiefer Bronnen ...
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Christian Morgenstern, Wir fanden einen Pfad. Gedichte, München: R. Piper & Co Verlag, 1966, page 13
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Marius Flothuis (1914 - 2001), "O Nacht", op. 3 (Vier liederen) no. 3 (1938), orchestrated 1939. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Paul Hermann Franz Graener (1872 - 1944), "O Nacht, du tiefer Bronnen", op. 50 (Vier Lieder) no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "O Nacht", op. 59 (Sechs Lieder nach Gedichten von Christian Morgenstern) no. 2 (1928), published 1934. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Ernest Vietor (fl. 1905-1930), "O Nacht", op. 11 no. 14 (1933-4). [ sung text not verified ]
- by Henri Zagwijn (1878 - 1954), "O Nacht", 1918. [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Oh night", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Ô nuit", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2004-11-24.
Last modified: 2016-09-29 18:23:42
Line count: 7
Word count: 31
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Oh night, you fount of stars,
Body and mind lave
In your thousand suns --
Oh night, that floods around me
With bliss of revelation,
Reveal to me, what you know!
Oh night, you deep fount ...
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2004 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann. Contact:
<BKottmann (AT) t-online.de>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2004-11-28.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:10
Line count: 7
Word count: 36