Athwart the bed
Language: English after the Chinese (中文)
Athwart the bed
I watch the moonbeams cast a trail
So bright, so cold, so frail.
That for a space it gleams
Like hoar-frost on the margin of my dreams.
I raise my head, --
The splendid moon I see:
Then droop my head,
And sink to dreams of thee --
My Fatherland, of thee!
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Settings in other languages or adaptations:
- Also set in Finnish (Suomi), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , title unknown ENG SLN GER FRE by Seppo Nummi.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Hans Heilmann (1859 - 1930) , title 1: "In der Herberge" ENG SLN FIN FRE by Othmar Schoeck.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Otto Hauser (1876 - 1944) , title 1: "In stiller Nacht", published 1906 ENG SLN FIN FRE by Josef Eduard Ploner.
- Also set in Slovenian (Slovenščina), a translation by Oton Župančič (1878 - 1949) , title unknown, copyright © ENG GER FIN FRE by Anton Lajovic.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , title unknown ENG SLN GER FIN by Jean-Robert Blanc.
Text added to the website: 2008-07-05.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:46
Line count: 10
Word count: 53
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works