Ample make this Bed
Ample make this Bed --
Make this Bed with Awe --
In it wait till Judgment break
Excellent and Fair.
Be its Mattress straight --
Be its Pillow round --
Let no Sunrise' yellow noise
Interrupt this Ground --
Translation(s): FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Bacon (1898 - 1990), "No sunrise", 1960-70. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Arthur Farwell (1872 - 1952), "Ample make this bed", op. 108 (Ten Emily Dickinson Songs) no. 7. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Daron Aric Hagen (b. 1961), "Ample make this bed", 1989 [voice and piano], from Love in a Life, no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Jake Heggie (b. 1961), "Ample make this bed", 2000, first performed 2000 [soprano and piano], from How Well I Knew the Light, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Brian Holmes (b. 1946), "Ample make this bed" [soprano, chorus, children's chorus, and orchestra], from Amherst Requiem, no. 6. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Michael M. Horvit (b. 1932), "Ample make this bed", published 1970 [soprano and piano], from Three Songs of Elegy [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Ulysses Simpson Kay (1917 - 1995), "Ample make this bed", published 1964 [SSA chorus and piano], from Emily Dickinson Set [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by David Leisner (b. 1958), "Ample make this Bed", 1986 [voice and piano or guitar], from Confiding, no. 2. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Rendi spazioso questo letto", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:26
Line count: 8
Word count: 34
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Fais ce lit Ample
Language: French (Français) after the English
Fais ce lit Ample --
Fais ce Lit avec Crainte et Respect --
Dedans attends jusqu'à l'interruption du Jugement
Excellent et Juste.
Que son Matelas soit plat --
Que son Oreiller soit rond --
Qu'aucun bruit jaune de Soleil
Ne gêne cet endroit.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2009 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems by Emily Dickinson, first published 1891 ITA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Ernst Bacon, Arthur Farwell, Daron Aric Hagen, Jake Heggie, Brian Holmes, Michael M. Horvit, Ulysses Simpson Kay, David Leisner. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2009-12-14.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:28
Line count: 8
Word count: 39