О Делвиг, Делвиг!
Language: Russian (Русский)
О Дельвиг, Дельвиг! Что награда
И дел высоких и стихов?
Таланту что и где отрада
Среди злодеев и глупцов?
В руке суровой Ювенала
Злодеям грозный быч свистит
И краску гонит с их ланит.
И власть тиранов задрожала.
О Дельвиг, Дельвиг, что гоненья?
Бессмертие равно удел
И смелых вдохновенных дел
И сладостного песнопеня!
Так не умрёт и наш союз,
Свободный, радостный и гордый!
И в счастье и в несчастье твёрдый
Союз любимцев вечных муз!
Translation(s): CAT ENG FRE GER
List of language codes
Submitted by John Versmoren
Show a transliteration: Default | DIN | GOST
Note on Transliterations
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "Oh Delvig, Delvig", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "Oh Delvig, Delvig", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Wilhelm Küchelbeker) , title 1: "O Delwig, Delwig"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Ô Delvig, Delvig !", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:37
Line count: 16
Word count: 73
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Oh Delvig, Delvig
Language: English after the Russian (Русский)
Oh Delvig, Delvig! Where is the reward
for good deeds and for the poetry?
What place is there for talent
amongst rascals and fools?
In Juvenal's rigorous hand
the frightful scourge menaces the villains
and robs the colour of their cheeks.
The power of tyrants trembled.
Oh Delvig, Delvig! What is the pay for persecution?
Immortality is yet the reward
for valiant and courageous deeds
or for delightful poetic singing.
Thus, our alliance will never be lost,
proud, joyful and free!
And, for better or for worse, will remain unshaken
the alliance of friends of the immortal muse!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2011 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2011-05-22 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:23
Line count: 16
Word count: 98