Luci serene e chiare
Language: Italian (Italiano)
Luci serene e chiare,
Voi m'incendete, voi, ma [prova il]1 core
Nell'incendio diletto, non dolore.
Dolci parole e care,
Voi mi ferite, voi, ma prova il petto
Non dolor [nella]2 piaga, ma diletto.
O miracol d'Amore!
Alma [che è]3 tutta foco e tutta [sangue]4
Si [strugge e]5 non si duol, [more e]6 non langue.
Translation(s): ENG FRE GER
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Adolphe, Monteverdi: "prov'il", passim.
2 Adolphe, Monteverdi: "ne la"
3 Adolphe, Monteverdi: "ch'è"
4 Monteverdi: "sange"
5 Monteverdi: "strugg'e"
6 Adolphe: "mor' e"; Monteverdi: "muor e"
Submitted by Alberto Pedrotti
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Bruce Adolphe (b. 1955), "Luci serene e chiare", first performed 2001 [soprano and piano], from A Thousand Years of Love, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa (c1561 - 1613), "Luci serene e chiare", published 1596. [SSATB chorus a cappella] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Luci serene e chiare", published 1603 [vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 8, madrigal [ sung text checked 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Morten Lauridsen.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bruce Adolphe) , "Eyes serene and clear", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Yeux sereins et clairs", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Heitere, funkelnde Augen", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-10-09 15:11:39
Line count: 9
Word count: 54
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Yeux sereins et clairs
Language: French (Français) after the Italian (Italiano)
Yeux sereins et clairs,
Vous m'enflammez, vous, mais le cœur éprouve
le plaisir dans les flammes, pas la douleur.
Douces et chères paroles,
vous me blessez, vous, mais le sein éprouve
non pas la douleur dans la plaie, mais le plaisir.
Ô miracle d'Amour !
L'âme qui est toute en feu et toute en sang
Ne ressent aucune douleur,ne meurt ni ne languit.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Ridolfo Arlotti (1546 - 1613), no title, written 1603 ENG GER
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Bruce Adolphe, Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa, Claudio Monteverdi. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2013-02-28 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:08
Line count: 9
Word count: 63