Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
There is no magic any more, We meet as other people do, You work no miracle for me Nor I for you. You were the wind and I the sea -- There is no splendor any more, I have grown listless as the pool Beside the shore. But though the pool is safe from storm And from the tide has found surcease, It grows more bitter than the sea, For all its peace.
Confirmed with Sara Teasdale, Love Songs, New York, The Macmillan Company, 1917, page 31.
- by Sara Teasdale (1884 - 1933), "After love", appears in Love Songs, first published 1917 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "After love", 2008 [mezzo-soprano and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Après l'amour", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Nach einer Liebe", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-03-06
Line count: 12
Word count: 72
Verlockung hin, kein Zauber mehr, wir schau'n uns an wie jedermann. Du wirkst kein Wunder mehr in mir, noch ich in dir. Du warst der Wind und ich das Meer - dahin ist alle Herrlichkeit: lieg reglos wie ein See im Land beim Meeresstrand. Wenn auch kein Sturm den See erreicht und auch nicht Ebbe, Flut, wird er noch bittrer als das Meer, trotz seiner Ruh.
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2014 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in English by Sara Teasdale (1884 - 1933), "After love", appears in Love Songs, first published 1917
This text was added to the website: 2014-02-03
Line count: 12
Word count: 66