Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Alle Menschen groß und klein Spinnen sich ein Gewebe fein, Wo sie mit ihrer [Scheren]1 Spitzen Gar zierlich in der Mitte sitzen. Wenn nun darein ein Besen fährt, Sagen sie, es sei unerhört, Man habe den größten Palast zerstört.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Strauss: "Schere"
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 10. Buch der Parabeln -- Mathal Nameh [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Epigram", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 7
Word count: 39
All people great and small Spin themselves a fine web, In the middle of which they sit quite daintily With the sharp tips of their scissors. When a broom sweeps through [the web], They say: it is scandalous, The greatest palace has been destroyed.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 10. Buch der Parabeln -- Mathal Nameh
Text added to the website: 2014-04-23 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:32
Line count: 7
Word count: 44