Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ach, in dem funklenden, träumerisch dunkelnden Aug' meiner Holden, Da lacht mir die herzliche Liebe entgegen In freudiger Gluht, Winkt mir die Sehnsucht, Die bange, die schmerzliche, Und doch in schwellendem, Quellendem Muth. Und in dem lebenden, Wonnig erbebenden Bild ihrer Augen, Dem wundergestaltigen, Lern ich den Zauber Der Liebe verstehn; Wie in der Freude, Der frischen, gewaltigen, So in dem Schmerz Und unendlichen Weh'n.
- by Sebastian Longard (1817 - 187?92), "Schwarze Augen" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johanna Kinkel, née Mockel (1810 - 1858), "Schwarze Augen", op. 17 (Sechs Lieder für eine tiefe Stimme) no. 2 (1844), published 1847. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Anja Bunzel) , "Dark eyes", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2007-10-04
Line count: 20
Word count: 65
Ach, the heartfelt Love smiles at me From my beloved’s Bright, dreaming Dark eyes. Happily, The longing is waving at me, Fearful, painful longing, And yet with increasing Courage. And in those lively, Moving Image of her eyes, In those fascinating eyes, I see the magic Of love; I see both fresh And powerful happiness, And pain, Endless pain.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Anja Bunzel, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Sebastian Longard (1817 - 187?92), "Schwarze Augen"
This text was added to the website: 2014-07-24
Line count: 20
Word count: 59