Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Drei Masken sah ich am Himmel stehn Wie Larven sind sie anzusehn. O Schreck, Dahinter sieht man Herrn Friedmann!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Alfred Kerr (1867 - 1948), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Drei Masken sah ich am Himmel stehn", op. 66 no. 4 (1918), from Krämerspiegel, no. 4. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "J'ai vu trois masques dans le ciel", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , no title, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Matthias Fletzberger
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 5
Word count: 19
J'ai vu trois masques dans le ciel, À voir il étaient comme des larves, Ô horreur, Derrière on voyait... Monsieur Friedmann !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2014-08-03
Line count: 5
Word count: 22