Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Von Händlern wird die Kunst bedroht, Da habt ihr die Bescherung. Sie bringen der Musik den Tod, Sich selber die Verklärung.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Alfred Kerr (1867 - 1948), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Von Händlern wird die Kunst bedroht", op. 66 no. 8 (1918), from Krämerspiegel, no. 8. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "L'art est menacé par les marchands", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , no title, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Matthias Fletzberger
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 21
L'art est menacé par les marchands, Là vous êtes dans de beaux draps : Ils apportent la mort à la musique, La transfiguration à eux-mêmes...
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2014-08-03
Line count: 4
Word count: 25